Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Trying Again aka maybe it will work this time

Yes, trying again.

Twice before I started to blog, with the focus on teaching or balancing my life.  Never seemed to work.  I never seemed to have much to say or I was trying to write at the end of the day and was simply too tired. 

Today I revisited the idea of a blog and considered many different options.  I thought about how I write my Morning Pages every day, as prescribed by The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. I've been doing this since 1994 and with great results.  I find it clears my head and helps me see connections in my life.  It gives me a place to vent if needed, a place to celebrate, a place to think creatively.  When considering this tool in my life I thought, hhhmmmm, what about a blog that I have to write before breakfast?  After all, many writers have used this technique, including poet William Stafford who would write a poem every day before getting out of bed.  And Sarah Ban Breathnac, the author of the successful Simple Abundance, who wrote in a notebook in her bed before getting up, then took her writing to the computer for revision.  This is how you write day by day -- a time, a place, a commitment.

So...Before Breakfast.  Whatever is on my mind.  It might be something profound, a simple poem, a reaction or reflection to a quote or photo or painting or event.  Hopefully I will write with some humor, because that is the hardest thing for me.  And I will allow myself to break that rule, because I have already.  Truth be told, I already had my breakfast today: Van's Steel-Cut Oatmeal with Vermont maple syrup.  Yum.  With a full belly, I begin.

1 comment:

  1. I think your commitment to write is inspiring me to try my hand at blogging too! I love your idea of writing early, because like you, I only seem to be able to really commit to anything early in the day. Too much happens as the day goes on to honor my commitments to myself!

    Hmmmm......just maybe! I've enjoyed every one of your posts (just read all 4 backwards). Keep up the good work, Helen!

    ReplyDelete