Friday, June 21, 2013

First Day of Summer -- Gratitude

In Southwest Florida, the first day of summer doesn't hold the intense meaning it does further north. Our days never grow shorter and longer with the intensity of the upper states, and the summer for us actually begins in May when 90+ degree days become the norm.

So I'm using this special Solstice Day as a day of sharing gratitude.

Yesterday at NWP, our response leader Heather shared the song "Drive" by Icubus.  I am not familiar with the music of Incubus, but for some reason that band's name has been surfacing lately. (Here's their official video)

The line that stood out to me in the song was When I drive myself my life is found.

I think this pretty much sums up the first half of this year.  I am in the drivers seat and have been all along. But what I finally did this year was say THIS IS WHAT I WANT MY LIFE TO BE and yes, I am making it happen -- but not without tons of love and support from others.  We never do anything in our lives without the kindness of others, which is probably another blog post!

So these are my Summer Solstice Gratitudes:

THANK YOU Trail Brazen Writing Circle -- with just one breakfast together, our writing has taken flight. In less than a month, we've probably collectively written tens of thousands of words. You inspire me to keep at it and the rewards are multiplying exponentially.

THANK YOU Jim, for support, support, support and all you are doing to make our lives better, including ordering me an iPad so I can continue my blog while we travel in July!

Look ma, no glasses!!  June 2013
THANK YOU to the awesome team at Southwest Florida Eye Care who have seen me through two eye surgeries with kindness, grace, and professionalism.

THANK YOU National Writing Project at FGCU for opening up this Summer Institute to such a fine collection of devoted teachers.  I'm already feeling like our time together won't be long enough.

THANK YOU Scott Hickman at Autonation Toyota for helping me reduce my car payment by 40%.

THANK YOU to those at Blogger who help writers get their blogs read in other parts of the globe.  I get a kick out of thinking someone in Russia or Japan may be reading my blog.

THANK YOU to administrators who supported and assisted me in getting the position I desired. And all my friends who cheered me on in my quest to do something new.

THANK YOU to all my students who help me keep it real.

THANK YOU to my sister and brothers: Margie, Martin, Matt and John.  We are always there for each other without fail and never mar our relationship with petty fights, jealousies, and judgments.

Martin, Margie, John, Me, and Matt -- My 40th -- 1995

THANK YOU to LaMotta's, La Casita, Christof's, and Skip One Seafood for your unique meals and commitment to the locals in Fort Myers.

THANK YOU to the landscapers who make our community so beautiful.

I am truly grateful to have the life I am living.  HAPPY SUMMER 2013!!!


1 comment: