Sunday, June 23, 2013

Don't Read This Blog

Last fall, I attended the Sanibel Island Writer's Conference and spent two mornings in writing workshops with Steve Almond.  Today I encourage you to read an important essay he has in today's New York Times.

The title of the essay is "My Kids are Obsessed With Technology, and It's All My Fault."  It raises good questions about what seems to be the avalanche heading toward us -- every kid having his or her own iPad in school. 

We had a similar debate at National Writing Project this week -- the pros and cons of this issue. Almond raises some very good questions, and I'm raising up some questions myself. Because, honestly, I don't know how I feel about this.

Almond told us "Tell the truth about what matters to you."  I would love to hear from educators and parents regarding this issue, either as comments here or on Facebook or email.

Here is Almond's essay

MY QUESTIONS:

1. Will iPads become just another way for the textbook companies to figure out how to soak the educational system of every bit of funding it has?

2. Will iPads become a way to monitor teachers?  Increase class sizes?  Standardize education?

3. Will the availability of iPads become another way to see the divide between the "haves" and the have-nots"?

4. How will educators ever formulate a clear and effective plan for the use of these devices?

5. How will educators create a common vision on the use of these devices?

[Note that in the last two questions I put educators as the ones who will make these decisions.  However, my real fear is that people outside of education will make these decisions. That leads to my next question.]

6. Will educators be allowed to make decisions on iPad use, or will it just be another dictate from above?

7.  Is this another way to script the role of the teacher by creating a system whereby knowledge of how to engage children in deep learning is no longer needed?

8.  Dewey said that all experiences live on in future experiences.  What kind of world does the above scenario set up?  What kind of expectation of the future?

9.  I suppose it always comes back to this:  what is the best way to be educated?  How do we strike a balance with advancing technology and the need to slow down and pay attention to something that isn't moving at a lightning pace?

And as I write that last question, I think of Almond's cardinal analogy, and think...mmm...even cardinals move at a lightning pace -- the gorgeous flash of red we see out of the corner of our eye.

But they also stop at times to take in the world around them, tend carefully to their nests, follow the cycles of nature, and yes, sing their proud song Birdy Birdy Birdy.

The natural world has much to teach us if we will, as Almond suggests, slow down and pay attention.  I hope we can take a collective breath before rushing headlong into something that will end up being just another way to avoid the complexities of what it means to be truly educated.


1 comment:

  1. If schools provide the iPads I suppose the have and have nots wouldn't be completely obvious. All of your questions are good ones for readers to ponder. Personally, I would like it if all students to the end of time would practice their handwriting, which is often atrocious due to lack of writing and put their pens to paper. I believe the best engagement comes from a student feeling emotional enough about anything to put it on paper. Hand illustrations are great too; ipads may equal more clip art and less personal creativity too. Yup, I'm "Republican" regarding technology in the classroom. I fear losing the old ways which I think help an individual slow down and connect with each person's deepest self.

    ReplyDelete