Saturday, June 8, 2013

Cleaning the Meditation Room

 One of the steps in Buddhist meditation is to clean the meditation room.  The instructions are to take everything out of the room, clean it, and then only put back what you need. When I first learned about this, I thought it was literally about cleaning the room. But over time I have come to understand it as a mind activity.  It may have a physical component, but it is for the betterment of the mind and the improvement of the quality of life for ourselves and others. 



Today is the New Moon.  I watch the moon phases because I find that the moon does seem to have an influence on my life.  I like the symmetry of things beginning around the time of the New Moon.  In July, it will be our vacation.  In August, it will be the new school year and my birthday.

My routine on New Moon days is to set an intention for the next 30 days or so.  I do this with the help of what are known as Animal Medicine cards, from the Native American tradition.  It is basically a divination tool, and one I like to use over things like Angel cards or Rune stones, although I've used those in the past to helpful results.

Today I pulled the Raven card upside down. This is what's known as "contrary" medicine.  Raven's power is magic, so this is "backward" magic.  In essence, it is telling me that something is blocking my energy, blocking the magic that I should have access to in my life right now.  At first this seemed odd to me. After all, I have felt more energy than ever this week.  But it quickly became clear that yes, indeed, I do have a smoky, confused, fuzzy glaze over something I am trying to see -- and that is this short story I have in mind.  Nearly every day this week I have sat down with the intent of working out more pieces of the story, getting a grip on the characters and their intersecting lives.  It has gone no where.  I've told myself it's just the process.  And yes, it is.  But Raven tells me there is more I can do.  I need to clear and then ground the energy.

There are many ways to clear and ground energy -- I could go to the beach, meditate at Lakes Park, maybe walk the labyrinth out on Sanibel Island. But then I looked around and realized I have things to clean up and organize in my home.  I was putting these small projects off until school got out, and then school got out and I still haven't done them.  I am not one who has to clean before I write, but I think that if I get some organization and cleaning done, it will help to clear a space for energy to enter.  The environment will be well-suited to staying grounded.  This is what I need now.


5 comments:

  1. Helen, you've inspired me because I need to do the same. I have these cleaning or arranging projects around my house too. Just like you I have been waiting for school to get out. Then it was to get through cadre and some NWP meetings. Well, now here I am a week later. Would you believe I don't even have a writing spot in my house? I just sit wherever. The post in working on today, is in a sense about a sort of cleaning too... I guess our goals are quite similarly aligned these days. Hope your cleaning and meditation clear your path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling better having realized what I need to do, and I made some headway. I write in different spots in my house, too, if I'm hand writing -- usually in a recliner, but sometimes my window seat or on the lanai. Different places seem to evoke different kinds of writing. I'm most successful with little poems like haikus if I am outside. If I am really trying to work something out I sit in my window seat. Most of the time, though, I'm in the big ol' leather recliner.

      Delete
  2. Zora Neale Hurston's biographer had visitors near her window, just show up while she was writing, crows. I affiliate these blackbirds with writing now. Isn't that what writing, truly is: decluttering the mind? moving the obstructions from our mind's eye. Here's to a month of writing with intent! (I did some housekeeping of my own--visiting with family) Happy New Moon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen, I have used all of the divination tools you describe, and in a similar way - a kind of spiritual play that inspires me and helps to clear any blocks. I go back and forth - right now I'm loving some Rumi cards I purchased, and also some Dharma cards! Blessed cleansing to you!

    ReplyDelete