Sunday, June 9, 2013

"It's much too groovy a summer day..."

Writing a daily blog is a real challenge.  I was assured earlier this week from a writer in the blogosphere that I would always be able to capture ideas to write about. I am finding that may be so -- there are ideas...but do I want to write about them?  Today is one of those challenges.

I was sipping my coffee and writing in my journal, which I always do before I come attacking the blog, and found I was struggling with a topic to write about.

I actually thought finding inspiration would be simple.  "I'll read some poetry," I thought, as I picked up Mary Oliver's Why I Wake Early.  Read through several poems.  Nothing.  Since when does Mary Oliver not inspire?  Yes, I'm as puzzled as you are.

Next, I pulled out the "butterfly box." This is a handmade product given to me by my friend Iris, and it contains 60 writing prompts.  "This will surely do it," I thought as I randomly picked a card.  On it was written: The truth is...

I couldn't think of one "truth" I wanted to write about.  I did, however, think of Jack Nicholson

"You can't handle the truth."

All I ended up writing is..."no one knows."

Another dead end.

Then I thought: iPod shuffle.  I'll shuffle up a song to write about.  Something with personal meaning I can share. Surely this will be the ticket.

Song #1 -- "Baby Be Mine" by Michael Jackson....hhmmmm...no clear memories of this song.

Song #2 -- "Heaven Knows" sung by Melinda Dolittle.....DISCO?  No way.

Song #3 -- "True Love" by Toots and the Maytals.....reggae is cool, but...nothing.

Song #4 -- "Look Away" by Mickey Hart.... a bit of a memory here about the early days of the internet.  Not really that interesting, though.

Song #5 -- "Hateful" by the Clash.....don't even really know this song.

Song # 6 -- "Turn Down Day" by the Cyrkle.  Now we might be getting somewhere.

It's a turn-down day
Nothin' on my mind
It's a turn-down day
And I dig it


 Wow.  I'm on to something here.  There is nothing on my mind!  I dig it! 


There's nothing easier I can do
Than lyin' around doing nothing


Yes!  I love it!  No pressure.  It's a groovy summer day.

Things that are waiting to mess my mind
Will just have to wait 'til tomorrow


This is the perfect Sunday song.  Nothing going to mess with my mind.  This overlooked song from the Sixties, that has always been one of my favorites, gives the perfect Sunday prescription.  Lying around doing nothing.  Not letting anything rattle me.  Not thinking about tomorrow.

After all, I have the perfect treat to go along with this day.  This photo got more attention than anything else I've posted on Facebook in a week. This illustrates to me that we all need a turn-down day...and some chocolate!





1 comment:

  1. Perfect! I took the weekend off and slept sooooo well without my mind buzzing. Doing nothing (including writing) is a downright requirement some days! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete