Tuesday, June 11, 2013

My Personal Magna Carta

Every November an event takes place on the internet called National Novel Writing Month.  I have fully participated in this event twice, drafting two full novels (2003 and 2007), and guiding my students into writing a novel (three classes produced one novel draft) in 2005.  Chris Baty, the creator of National Novel Writing Month (affectionately known as NaNoWriMo) wrote a book called No Plot? No Problem!:A Low-Stress, High Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days.  This is one of my favorite books on writing, not just because it guides me through writing in 30 days, but because it has some of the best concise writing advice packed in it.

One of these pieces of advice is creating your own Magna Carta  in order to "channel your awesome writing powers for the good of the people." He even suggests framing it.  This is basically a list of subjects and ideas you like to read about.  If you like to read about them, the logic goes, you will be able to write well about them.  This goes with the advice that I believe is attributed to Toni Morrison: we need to write the book we would like to read. 

Here is the original Magna Carta:


Here is my Magna Carta aka The Things I Like to Read About so Mostly Likely Can Write Well:

Writers
Anything related to the time periods I grew up, mainly 60's and 70's
Geography I know well or would like to know well
Nature
Spirituality, in particular Buddhism
Experiences of women, not necessarily motherhood
Love triangles
Generations
Fathers and sons
Fathers and daughters
Music
Culture clashes
Effects of war
Stories drawn from other stories
Road trips
Reunions
Time manipulation
Coming of age

When I look at this list, I can think of so many books I love that fall in these categories, and many of them overlap in some way.  The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn simultaneously covers coming-of-age, road trip, nature, geography, fathers and sons, and culture clashes.  Slaughterhouse-Five, another favorite of mine, covers effects of war, time manipulation, and spirituality.  More recently, a new book by Ruth Ozeki A Tale for the Time Being took on writing, spirituality, fathers and daughters, culture clashes, coming-of-age, road trips, music, experiences of women, and time manipulation.  Is it any wonder I love love love that book?

Baty's other advice is to write an evil twin to the Magna Carta -- all the things you don't like to read about.  He says keep both of these documents close so that you stay on track with your writing.  The number one item on that list for me is murder mysteries.  I know I am not in danger of writing one of those any time soon.

So, here is your challenge today:  What is your Magna Carta?  I'd love to read your lists if you'd like to send them to me!

4 comments:

  1. I'm definitely gonna try to do this - and I had a chuckle because I LOVE murder mysteries, action thrillers (though not so much spy-type stuff), and horror (not cut-em-up "Saw" type stories that are popular today, but Steven King, Dean Koontz, etc). I used to really wonder about why I like horror so much until I read somewhere that true horror skews reality, and you have to have a real grip on reality to appreciate horror. I think that's a big part of it for me. And Spirituality, Parenting of all kinds, Creativity, wow doing my list here!

    I'll think more on it and try to put together a more concise list of both - what I love and what I don't like. Interesting! Thanks, Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen, I can't wait to do this! Thank you for sharing the book, the idea, and your Magna Carts. I'm not a big fan of murder mystery either, but I love police and courtroom drama. So I guess as long as there is more focus on case-building and the trial, than the whodunnit aspect, I tend to be kept interested.

    I'll be sure to share my Magna Carta once it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Me too! How exciting! Does my Magna Carta count as my writing for the day?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to read...

    magical realism
    thrillers
    African-American Literature
    stuff that touches on impossible
    reminds us of the price of war
    family dynamics
    sci-fi
    dystopian literature
    YA stuff
    transformative stories
    quest sagas
    things that twist reality
    really scary horror
    stuff that makes me think
    fantasy (sometimes)
    short stories
    multiple character focus
    stories told backwards
    relationships between women
    stories of self-realization
    Action
    humor
    witty dialogue (taming of the shrew!)

    I hate to read...

    sex in books (except the Sookie Stackhouse series)
    flat characterization
    fight scenes--I skip to the end
    stuff that takes itself too seriously
    trite stuff
    lengthy descriptions!!!
    exhausting backstory
    errors!
    most realistic fiction
    historical fiction (unless really fast-paced/fascinating stuff)
    excessive adjectives/adverbs.
    wordiness

    Phew! That was easy. I guess I still have to write. Thanks a ton!!! Hope you get all better real soon!

    ReplyDelete