Thursday, July 4, 2013

Photo Poem -- Theme in Red, White, and Blue

Today I spun for a poem on my Poetry Foundation app, and came up with "Theme in Yellow" by Carl Sandburg.  It motivated me to write a poem for this holiday, called "Theme in Red, White, and Blue."

I used the Sandburg poem as a mentor text, keeping my lines between 4-7 syllables, and using some of his starting lines.  I also kept each "color theme" to 15 lines total.  (I provide a link to his poem below.)

Theme in Red, White, and Blue

Red
I rush in waves
with crimson, cleansing spirit
the mother giving birth
the blood left on
the battlefield far away.
I light the way
of anger and victory
with a flash, a flame
stirring things up
hitting the bulls-eye.
And I love my strength;
I am independent
resisting and resourceful
sunrise and sunset.
Never surrender.

White
I bloom wild and free
comfort with blankets
of snow, cirrus clouds.
I light with love intense
wedding purity and grace
together, a communion
in the age of reason.
I'm the dandelion
gone to seed.
And I love that I'm
always the good guy.
I am fragile, fertile,
an eggshell of protection,
experienced and engaged.
I am equalizing.


Blue
I create the sky
magnificent and dazzling
Mourn a melancholy tune
when tragedy strikes.
I light the allegiance
in the hearts of many,
a pledge made in faith,
constant devotion
fidelity, trust
with cooperation.
And I love my
fortitude in the face
of dissension.
I am the soothing spring.
I am uniting

Link to Sandburg poem

Winter scene photo from FlowerGardenGirl blog
Flag photo from Middleton Insider page
All other photos copyright Helen M. Sadler

No comments:

Post a Comment