Saturday, July 27, 2013

Always Write a Love Poem

I have reached the point I feared I would not reach.

I am getting excited for the new school year.

On Thursday I discovered this quote from Vincent Van Gogh: "I am in it with all my heart."

At the time, I was resisting the start of another school year.  This summer has been my best since I began teaching.  I have traveled and I have started writing again.  I participated in the best National Writing Project ever.  I'm reading whatever I want to read.  I'm having FUN!

Yet, a part of me related to Van Gogh, because I know I love teaching -- I mean, deeply love teaching. So I decided to let the quote rest inside of me while I made plans for school, alternating with still having fun and reading what I want.

It's working.

Yesterday I worked a little more in my new classroom.  I had to tear down a lot of "stuff" that didn't represent who I am as a teacher.  We teach who we are, after all.  I arranged the tables.  I made decisions.  Then I went out for sushi and a movie with my sister.

Evening came and I decided to peruse the literature collections for my 7th and 8th grade classes.  That was all it took.  I had been slightly worried for a time that I would miss teaching the higher level courses and American literature canon I have been teaching the last few years.

"Irises" Vincent Van Gogh
But I didn't need to worry.  What I see in the textbooks is everything I love.  Terrific poetry.  Wonderful stories by favorite authors: Soto, Paulsen, Cisneros, Bradbury, Giovanni, Hughes, Angelou, and yes, even Twain.  Famous speeches. Lots and lots of folktales and myths and legends. Realistic fiction. Cartoons and paintings.  And that's just the tip of it.

I am in it with all my heart. 

My mind went racing.  I pulled out the "dream" notebook I bought when I first decided to make the change from high school back to middle.  I wrote several pages of ideas for both grade levels -- mostly things I have taught at middle and high, projects that I think could be awesome, and lots of mentor text ideas.

Of course, I know the reality.  I will barely be able to scratch the surface of these ideas.  There will be more to teach than what made the list.  That doesn't matter.  What matters is that I sincerely feel ready, and a week ago I wasn't sure I was going to find that feeling.

In the 7th grade literature book, there is a selection called "a poem (for langston hughes)" by Nikki Giovanni.  In her poem she quotes Hughes:  "Always write a love poem no matter what you're doing. Always write a love poem."

I am beginning to write my love poem to this new school year.













2 comments: