Sunday, May 25, 2014

My Sunday Song -- 5/25 -- "No Surrender"

My project this weekend is completing preparations for the closing ceremony for my 8th graders, which will take place on Tuesday.  They are music lovers, so I have chosen a song for each of them. The ceremony will consist of playing a snippet of the song and presenting each of them with a short note on why I chose that song for him or her.

As is the case with these types of things, many students were quick and easy in song placement. Others were harder to place, sending me searching for an appropriate message through song.

This brought me to Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA album and the song "No Surrender."  I actually had forgotten about this song, but is perfect with opening lyrics:

We busted out of class had to get away from those fools
We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school

If I hadn't already been an adult when this song came out, it would have been my mantra.

I found this acoustic version of the song to share today.  I'll be playing the kick ass rock version for the students.  I found a student this fits perfectly.  He's super smart, a non-stop reader, and runs with a certain group of friends that seem inseparable.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember
No retreat no surrender
Like soldiers in the winter's night with a vow to defend
No retreat no surrender

Love your Sunday.  Here's Bruce.

No comments:

Post a Comment