Saturday, December 28, 2013

My Music Life: My Favorite Albums of 2013

Music is a huge part of my life.  This year has been one of my most musical years yet -- going to Music City, the Grand Ole Opry, Studio B, Ryman Auditorium, along with collecting more music downloads than ever and starting instruction on the mandolin.  With this in mind, I give you my six favorite albums from this year.  I suggest you take your time and check out the videos as well. ;-)

Number Six
The Electric Lady by Janelle Monae

I fell in love with Janelle Monae's music when I saw her perform "Tightrope" on television, clad in a tuxedo and exuding massive amounts of energy. That energy is ramped up even more with her new album.  My favorites:  "Q.U.E.E.N.,"  "Dance Apocalyptic," "We Were Rock and Roll," and "Dorothy Dandridge Eyes."  Besides her energy, I respect Monae as a feminist artist who does things her way, even if it is a little off the wall.  If you are not familiar with Monae, hang on to your hat and watch this video.  Try NOT to sing along with the chorus:  "Smash, smash/ Bang, bang/ Don't stop/ Sha-lang-alang-alang..."  (Click here if video is missing)



Number Five
Same Trailer, Different Park by Kacey Musgraves

In early June I caught wind of this new artist coming out of Nashville.  After reading rave reviews about her, I downloaded her album and found some downright truth telling without a bit of gloss or nuance.  The fact that she willingly tells people off, uncovers their indiscretions, and even blatantly talks about smoking joints (which got bleeped when she sang "Follow Your Arrow" on the CMA award show), Kacey tells it like it is. The music is intelligent and each song stands on its own -- no filler here. Along with "Follow Your Arrow" which gives some pretty standard advice,  I like "Silver Lining" and "Step Off."  I didn't get to see Kacey at the Grand Ole Opry, but I did find this video of her debut performance there with a song called "Trailers" -- sadly, not on her album but certainly gives you a good dose of who she is!  ((Click here if video is missing)


Number Four

Chasing Down the Wind by Green River Ordinance

This year we went to see the So You Think You Can Dance show at Barbara B. Mann.  While waiting for the show to being, videos were being show. This was my introduction to Green River Ordinance -- a roots style band in the the vein of Avett Brothers and Mumford and Sons, but perhaps with a bit more Byrds/Flying Burrito Brothers/Eagles flavor.  I don't know -- I just love this music.  So easy to listen to.  This is just an EP with seven tunes, but each one is a keeper. Turns out they have had many previous albums -- they had escaped my notice until I saw the video "It Ain't Love."  Other favorites: "Cannery River" and "Better Love."  See for yourself.

Click this link for "It Ain't Love" video


Number Three
Memphis by Boz Scaggs

To be honest, I haven't paid any attention to Scaggs's career since his stardom in the 1970's.  Somehow I became aquainted with this album and was taken in once again by Boz's soulful voice, smooth attention to each song, and reworking of past songs that made them sound brand new.  I simply cannot get enough of his versions of "Love on a Two-Way Street,"  "Corrina, Corrina," and "Rainy Night in Georgia."  But probably the most surprising and best song on this album is Steely Dan's "Pearl of the Quarter."  Scaggs himself in an interview cited it as his favorite. Check out this short video on the making of the album for a good taste of what was produced in three short days.



Number Two
Live at the Troubadour by Sarah Jarosz

While searching the Grand Ole Opry schedule in an attempt to find the right act to see while in Nashville, I came upon the name Sarah Jarosz.  Upon investigation, I uncovered a talent I haven't seen since the likes of Alison Krauss in the 1990's.  Shy, unassuming, talented, and dedicated to her roots, this little four song EP is a wonderful introduction to this amazing artist.  Later in the year, Jarosz put out a full album Build Me Up From Bones, which is a worthy effort.  However, I picked the live album for one main reason -- she performs "Kathy's Song" -- on of my favorites by Paul Simon.  We did see Sarah and her band at the Opry and she was the highlight of my night when she sang Dylan's "Ring Them Bells."  See for yourself; by the way, she is playing an octave mandolin here so beautifully it makes me want to cry.



Number One
Love is Everything by George Strait

The main reason I love this album the most was explained in my Thanksgiving day post.  But I do have a bit more to say.  The reason this is number one is because I find I can come to it no matter how I am feeling and everything gets better.  If I'm down, it lifts me up. If I'm happy, it makes me even gladder to be alive.  Strait is coming close to edging out Willie Nelson as my all-time favorite country male performer, and that is saying a lot.  Willie has been my main man for 30 years! But with this album, Strait has brought together some of the best fun-loving, heartbreaking, tear-jerking, and heartwarming songs ever collected in one place.  My favorites, besides the title cut, are "I Got a Car," "When the Credits Roll," and "I Just Can't Go On Dying Like This."  Professional to a fault and deeply committed to making the best music possible, Strait is certainly one of the greats.  His music will stand long after "the credits roll."  Unfortunately, there aren't any music videos made for the album, but there is this  interview with his thoughts about the album.  (If video isn't available, click here)

Honorable Mention
Love in the Future by John Legend -- although not as enticing as Get Lifted, still highly listenable
American Soul by Mick Hucknall -- the lead singer of my favorite band from the 80's -- Simply Red -- takes on American R & B music.  Faves include "I'd Rather Go Blind" and "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood."
Speak a Little Louder by Diane Birch -- she has added a bit more production to her music, which I don't think it needs;  however, Birch is still an accomplished young songwriter and shouldn't be ignored.  If you don't know who Birch is, check out this performance on Live At Daryl's House

No comments:

Post a Comment