Monday, December 30, 2013

"Bluegrass & Wildflowers" -- A Celebration of the Cycles of Life

I've been uncovering all kinds of interesting pieces of writing, quotes, poems, and more today.  It is one of the benefits of having some time off -- I get to excavate the past a bit.

Meanwhile, I am feeling tremendously guilty about not having practiced my mandolin and I have a lesson coming up in less than three hours.  I have been working on some bluegrass songs (no surprise!)

Then I run across this poem I wrote while riding along I-81 through Virginia. It is dated October 9, 1995.  I couldn't stop reading it over and thinking of how appropriate it is in many ways today, December 30.

We are ending a cycle of this year of 2013, and this poem seems to speak of that and many other things that matter to me -- music, and nature, and movement, and time passing and joy....


Bluegrass & Wildflowers

The flowers along this
Virginia highway
Are purples and violets and
lavender and white
On this autumn day
Bluegrass on the stereo
Relaxed and ready
for what comes next.
The flowers on this Virginia highway
are wild and free
They multiply each year
spreading their joy.
The wildflowers on this
Virginia highway
remind me of growth and change...
expansion...
the cycles of life.
The Bluegrass music Emmylou
sings so fine
connects me to the past
in so many ways
Bluegrass was written
by people who never rode
on this Virginia highway
But they saw the wildflowers
blooming on the hill
And they knew about
growth and change...
expansion...
and the cycles of life.


Now I really do need to go practice my mandolin.  Happy New Year to everyone reading this.  May 2014 be a year of expansion and growth and a further embracing of that which may be tough and challenging or mysterious and miraculous -- like growing roses in the snow.  (Video link if missing)


 


No comments:

Post a Comment