Thursday, November 14, 2013

Being What Counts -- A Truly "Found" Poem

It's been a dry spell with this blog, but perhaps I'm making my way back today.

I scheduled a personal day off for some thinking and writing time, and so far, so good.

I found the following poem while pulling together another poem.  I wrote it during the National Writing Project Summer Institute on June 28, 2012.  It was prompted by a reading from Lucy Calkin's book The Art of Teaching Writing.  She addresses this idea of being joyfully literate and how as teachers we must teach the writer, not the writing; teach the reader, not the reading.

Obviously this inspired me, and my personal teaching philosophy poured out on the page. Now that I have found this poem again, I am inspired once more.  What follows is what I've learned is the best way to teach, and represents my best days in the classroom -- when I remember. When I don't get sidetracked -- which is all too easy.

Today I made the decision that JOYFUL LITERACY is forever the premier goal in my classroom.  It will be posted for all to see.  I am determined this time not to forget!

Joyful orchids on Useppa Island


Being What Counts

Joyfully literate
Conversation and intention
Moving through the spirals
of structure, the structure
of meaning, the art of
conversation
 Vocabulary
Joyfully literate -- able
to talk easily, to find a 
way in, any way in,
the mark on the page,
framed and signed for all
to see.

We rush
this text, that text,
interruptions
"no time" becomes a mantra
let's see it as an excuse
Slow down.
Join the conversation.
Be vulnerable.
Okay not to know
Okay to simply ask
"What do you think?"
Can we see this as a strength?
Must we be know-it-alls?
Is that joyful?
Do we write, revise, model
for our students?
Do we actively read and 
share what we read?

Are we joyful?

Imagine...
Being with text
What emerges?
Where is the way in,
the opening?
It all counts.
Do we take time to
contemplate
or do we expect
easy quick answers?
Do we only think about
what "counts?"
Can we re-imagine what
"counts" means
Does it "count" toward
greater ability to
THINK?
Does it count toward
greater creativity?
Does it count toward
greater communication?
Isn't it true that these
things that count are
hard to quantify in
an A, B, C, D, or F?

Conversation
matters.
Expression 
matters.
Openness
matters.

If we teach our children well,
if we teach them basic safety, 
we usually use these words:

STOP
LOOK 
LISTEN

These words will form 
the basis of everything
I do.  

STOP            Take time
LOOK          Really "see"
LISTEN      For the next step

The way in
to Joyful Literacy.

hms  9:30 a.m. 6/28/12

 

No comments:

Post a Comment