Sunday, November 17, 2013

Book Title Poem

Recently, a friend posted an idea called the Book Shelf poem -- lining up your book titles to create a poem.

It has taken me a couple of weeks to get on it, and finally I have.  I collected over 60 book titles -- just writing down ones that stood out to me, not necessarily my favorites.

I thought a lot about whether I would add extra words.  There are not rules for this kind of thing, so I knew I could if I wanted to.  But somehow, I didn't want to.

Then I hit on an idea of using something else to tie the book titles together -- categorizing them as I often have my students do with words and phrases.  I decided to use song titles that asked questions -- and I allowed that sometimes I would be using questions in the songs themselves, not necessarily the titles, if that worked.

I set out about 16 different song title categories, and began matching up the book titles.  I discarded quite a few book titles and a couple of the song titles that didn't seem to work.  Then I considered what kind of theme this whole collection represented and, of course, it has to do with the journey we travel in this life.  It gave it a frame, anyway, however loosely.

I numbered the categories.  Here is a portion of the layout:


 So now...the poem!

***
Krik! Krak!
Hot Damn!
Who Knows Where the Time Goes?
Good Times/Bad Times
Living Juicy
Trout Fishing in America
Just a Couple of Days...
Should I Stay or Should I Go?
Dreaming of Babylon
Archeology of a Circle
Notes from the Underground
Interrogations at Noon...
How's It Going to Be?
The Force of Spirit
Finding What You Didn't Lose
Writing for Your Life

Krik! Krak!
Hot Damn!
Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?
The Road
Far from Home
A Separate Peace
Chasing Down the Dawn...
Do You Remember?
Finding Florida
Florida Stories
Florida Poems
The Wild Heart of Florida
Forever Island

Krik! Krak!
Hot Damn!
What's Love Got to Do With It?
The Root of This Longing
Warriors of the Heart
Small Wonder...
Who'll Stop the Rain?
The Metamorphosis
Fate and Destiny
Mist
Heart of Darkness...
Do You Know?
The Language of Life
Colors of Freedom
The Rebel
You Can't Catch Death...
Where is the Love?
A Lamp in the Darkness
Catching Fire
A Circle of Quiet
Sailing Home

Krik! Krak!
Hot Damn!
Can You Hear Me Knockin'?
Calling Me Home
By the Light of My Father's Smile
I Thought My Father Was God...
What is Love?
Being Peace
The Red Tent
The Color Purple
A Stone for a Pillow...
How Will I Know?
Sacred Contracts
The Glance
Grace (Eventually)
Couldn't Keep It to Myself

Krik! Krak!
Hot Damn!
Is This the Real Life...?
Things Seen and Unseen
The Path
A Wrinkle in Time
News from the Universe
God Never Blinks
...Is This Just Fantasy?
Above the River
A Woman's Path
Joyful Noise
Riverwalking
Ceremony...

Remembering the God to Come

***







1 comment: