Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Classroom Playlist

The students in my third period brought up playing music in the classroom several times, before I finally decided to do something about it.  Shuffling items on my iPod -- even specific genres -- simply was not cutting it with them.

In the past, my classes have been able to agree on at least one artist I could safely play:  Bob Marley, Michael Jackson, John Legend, and in spring 2012, Adele.
Michael only.  No brothers allowed.

But these 8th graders are not that easily pleased.

We began with a brainstorming.  The #1 Rule: everything is listed while we gather ideas -- nothing is tossed.

Immediately someone said, "Can we all agree that Justin Bieber does not go on the list?"

Against the rules. Let's start again.  EVERY SUGGESTION GOES ON THE LIST WITHOUT COMMENT.

The list begins: Miguel, Future, Ciara, Boyz II Men, Jeremih, Michael Jackson, Jay Z, Johnny Cash, Def Leppard, Aerosmith, 3 Doors Down, Pierce the Veil, Korn, Lorde, One Direction, Filter, TLC, Drake....on and on.

I take the list home and go to trusty iTunes.  Some bands simply have no clean versions of any song, so they get eliminated immediately.  I do find a new clean Drake song, and old Chris Brown ("Forever") that I really like, and I discover that I am a fan of Papa Roach and 3 Doors Down.

So, I create a list: Drake, Lorde, TLC, Linkin Park, Ciara, Boys II Men, 3 Doors Down, Papa Roach, Nicki Minaj (just one: "Starships"), Chris Brown, Blue Oyster Cult, Johnny Cash.  I add several of my own that I think they might be able to handle.  Soon I have a playlist of over 80 songs.

So, we test it out. They are working independently on storyboard projects and I put on the playlist.  They are happy to hear some of their favorites.  But they are not without complaints.  I had put Jackson Five's "The Love You Save" on the list.

Miss, we said Michael Jackson, NOT the Jackson Five.

The Funkadelics "Atomic Dog" made it through first period, but third soundly rejected it.

What IS this?  

The only acceptable Johnny Cash
They were mixed on Florida-Georgia State Line's "Cruise," even though I had the version with a rap by Nelly.  I'm leaving it on.

And they didn't know what to do with Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire."

Miss -- we want OLD MAN Johnny Cash, not YOUNG MAN Johnny Cash.

So, "Hurt" has been downloaded to the list.

Songs I added that passed:
"Love Shack" by B-52's  (My mother loves this song!)
"You Make My Dreams" by Daryl Hall and John Oates
"Separate Ways" by Journey
"No One" by Alicia Keys (they were all singing along)
"Friday I'm In Love" by the Cure
"Breaking the Chains of Love" by Fitz and the Tantrums
"Mystery Train" by Elvis Presley
"Who Do You Love" by Bo Diddley
"Radio Nowhere" by Bruce Springsteen
Surprised ol' Bo made the cut!
"Train in Vain" by the Clash
"Radar Love" by Golden Earring
"Refugee" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Still to be determined:
"Bang the Drum All Day" by Todd Rundgren
"Losing My Religion" by R.E.M.  (I predict this will get tossed)

I've just added three Queen songs, one being "Under Pressure" with David Bowie.  We'll see.

The strangest comment of all...I had put "No Air" by Jordin Sparks and Chris Brown.  One boy said, "Please turn this off.  They are talking about how they hate white people."

Huh?

Bottom line -- I love having the music playing.  It makes the day much more enjoyable.  The key to the "right" song for them is a strong beat.  I seem to be able to get away with just about any song as long as the beat is catchy enough.  So be it.

I'm learning!



No comments:

Post a Comment