Wednesday, October 9, 2013

My Movies: Gravity (in 3D)

The film Gravity changed my mind about 3D.

I typically don't see the kinds of movies that are in 3D, but I did see Avatar (which I didn't care for much) and Hugo, which I didn't even understand why it was in 3D.  But Gravity is different.  With this film, 3D creates a deeper experience.  And some of the effects directly add to the meaning of the film.

Since I don't want this to be one big spoiler, I am only going to mention the one thing that I thought was most remarkable about the use of 3D.



I teach my students that in story -- whether written or filmed -- the presence of water is a motif which always means the same thing.  The presence of rain or tears or a character falling into a lake or swimming in a river indicate a change is coming -- the character will make a decision or transform in some way.  It is used so often it feels cliche -- but that is what makes it a motif.

In Gravity, there is a scene where Sandra Bullock's character, Ryan Stone, begins to cry.  Being in a gravity-less atmosphere (and being in 3D) her tears do not stay on her cheek.  Instead, they float out toward the audience.  Not a lot of tears...just one or two.  I was mesmerized by this and couldn't take my eyes off the teardrop floating its way toward me -- so close I felt I could touch it.  Then the drop began to act as a mirror of the character.  I was fascinated.  What a way to use this motif and 3D!  What a way to symbolize that a change is about to occur -- so subtle and effective.  The English Major in me could spend quite a bit of time uncovering the layers of this poignant and visually inventive scene--but I'll save the lengthy analysis.

Instead, I'll just say this: Gravity is a film that can be seen as an allegory for the impermanence of life, the way we suffer, the times we give up, and the mysterious ways we continue to push on and survive, despite all odds being against us.  We don't have to go up in space to experience the lack of groundedness we feel at times.

Well...all the time, if we're honest.

I had watched this anatomy of a scene from Gravity a week before seeing the film.  I already knew I wanted to see the film, but after watching this, I was sold.  Check it out. And if you see the film, be sure to let me know what you think of it.




No comments:

Post a Comment