Sunday, September 15, 2013

Thirteen Ways of Looking at Lakes Park -- Photo Poem

I went to Lakes Park this morning, camera in hand, to create a photo poem.  What follows is that poem, based on (and sometimes borrowed from) "Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird" by Wallace Stevens. Enjoy.

THIRTEEN WAYS OF LOOKING AT LAKES PARK 
 I.
Atop a small tree,
the blackbird surveyed
the scene.

II.
I was of three minds,
like a flower
with a bee and a spider.

 III.
The blackbird trotted along,
wondering why the picnic was over.

IV.
A palm and a strangler fig
are one.
A palm and a fig and the earth
are one.

V.
I do not know which I prefer,
the beauty of shadows,
the intensity of silhouettes,
the blackbird cawing,
or just after.

 VI.
Tall grasses framed the
Great Blue Heron.
The eye of the bird
crossed, to and fro,
searching for breakfast,
an undisputed cause.

 VII.
Oh Englishman of Liverpool,
why do you sing of the blackbird?
Have you not witnessed the
statuesque Great White Egret,
a goddess of the grassy shore?

VIII.
I know red trees
in autumn.
And I know, too,
of impermanence,
the fleeting nature of life.
The dragonfly is involved
in all I know.

IX.
When the berries ripen
it marks the time
of harvest and feasting.

X.
At the sight of the boardwalk,
I am invited to journey forth
Even the sky beckons,
opening up to the adventure.

 XI.
She said purple
was a sacred color.
Angels rejoice when
we notice its gift,
and acknowledge it
with grace and blessings.

 XII.
The fountains are dancing.
The birds are gliding.

XIII.
It was sunny all morning.
Pinecones falling.
It's another hot summer day.
The blackbird
in the pine limbs.




1 comment:

  1. Very Lovely. Creative to base it upon the work of Wallace Stevens. I love your images and words. I have also created photo poems using my photos; I love combining images with words. Sarted doing this on my blog Lens Cap Off a couple of years ago- its fun!

    ReplyDelete