Saturday, September 14, 2013

Fusion Revolution--Appreciation


Today I have just been noodling around, thinking about what I want to write, jotting down ideas, and then poking around YouTube.  It is when I came upon this video that my appreciation for the current fusion revolution took over my mind and spirit, and I knew I had to blog it and share my perspective.

Elvis Costello + Mumford & Sons sing "Ghost of Tom Joad"

We see it in art, in music, in food. It is seemingly everywhere -- standing on the shoulders of those who came before, we are introduced continually to new designs, new fusions, new innovations.  Adding a little of this and a little of that.  Making it beautiful.  Making it work.  Integration.  Inspiration.  Intertwined.

Woodie Guthrie
What I love about the video above is that it inter-engages (my own word) so many things.  We have Elvis Costello -- one of the innovators of New Wave in the 1970's.  (I'll admit -- back then, I wasn't a fan. Now?  Love it!)  Mumford and Sons -- sending forth roots music with their own unique style.  Together they sing a Bruce Springsteen song, directly pulled from literature (Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath), and standing itself on the shoulders of Woodie Guthrie.  And, of course, the Woodie Guthrie song thrown in the middle -- "Do Re Mi" -- which according to American Songwriter website is "a sardonic anthem warning to those weary travelers who expect the good life to be waiting for them in California to think again."  I only know this song from a Nanci Griffith album and frankly, had never realized what exactly it was about. Social conscious.  History.  Real people. Real lives. All with the backdrop of some prodigious scenery. 

The bottom line for me is that I get inspired and motivated when I see how interconnected everything is.  In a way it goes back to my last blog post, where I talked about how everything we have depends on the kindness of others.  All art, music, every creation we have as humans builds on what came before.  We never stand alone.  We are not exceptional -- we are interdependent.  I think these concepts have been spoken of quite a bit lately, and I'm glad we have the conversation.  Meanwhile, we also have an awesome video to enjoy.  I appreciate the kindness of everyone everywhere, over time and space, that made this happen.  This is six minutes of joy for me -- and that is no small thing.  And somehow, the whole thing just makes me feel smarter and more alive.  Maybe that's just the English Major in me talking!

Thank you Elvis.  Thank you Marcus and the boys. Thank you Bruce.  Thank you Woodie.  Thank you John. Thank you all.

(Full disclosure -- this video was made by the One organization, which takes a hard line against extreme poverty and preventable diseases -- noble causes for sure -- and urges us to do something about it.  I share this video today for all the reasons listed above. However, if you are so moved,  check out their website.   It features stories of real people and real lives worldwide and they are focused on getting it right!)

No comments:

Post a Comment