Sunday, July 20, 2014

Observation Poem: "Court Square Park, Memphis"

I'm in Court Square Park on a perfect summer Sunday morning in Memphis, Tennessee.

A squirrel came by looking for a handout.
The fountain is silhouetted in the morning sun.
The sound of water falling
Soothing.

Haiku:
Soothing water falls
Birds scatter while conversing
Sunrise tree afire.

Yesterday a young lady from St. Louis said it is humid here!
I laughed.
Not the least bit humid to me.

My banana has a sticker that says: Peel the love.

The Kress building vibrates
 in cobalt blue, bright yellow, and gleaming gold.

Sun in my eyes.  A couple with a black fluffy dog walk by; the man has to run when his pet chases a squirrel.

The dog wears a pink harness.

There was a wedding here yesterday in the gazebo.  I saw the groomsmen later. They wore gray.

It's 8:00 a.m. Central Time.  Temperature 73 degrees.

The dog is still pulling the man around trying to find the squirrel, who is long gone up a tree.

A black man in a straw hat walks by. His silk shirt has tan and cream colored squares with large letters: B, C, E, I.  The "I" is always laying sideways.

What does it mean?

There is a building in the distance that has decorative half moon designs in gold and black.

A plaque on the base of the fountain reads: "Restoration and Illumination of this Fountain by Memphis Light, Gas, and Water Division City of Memphis 1949"

The sun illuminates the falling water.

Natural...calming...restoring.


No comments:

Post a Comment