Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Delicious Discovery

Our travels have begun!  We had a fairly easy drive up to Perry, Florida, traveling through some crazy rains, and little towns full of dollar stores and Baptist churches. We had a good Italian dinner at a place called Mama's Italian, and a good night's rest

Today I realized that I did not remember to bring the cord I need to download my camera pictures to Jim's computer so I can post them on this blog. Until we find a Best Buy, I am out of luck in that regard.

I consider this trip a "musical odyssey" as we travel to places of great musical history-- New Orleans, the Mississippi Blues and Country Trails, Memphis, and Nashville. Didn't know our discoveries would include classic American folk in the form of Stephen Foster. Yesterday we got to spend some time by the historic Suwanee River.  We were there late afternoon, and the sun was shining silver on the water. The banks are wooded with Palm trees and oaks with Spanish moss dripping from the branches. There was an old railway station in the deserted area where we stopped--a place time forgot, but the river keeps flowing.

Recently I found something I had written in a journal long ago. It is going to be my personal motto for this trip: The question is not "What did you learn?" but rather, "How did you grow?"  I am sure in blogging our travels I will be sharing both.

So, it's on to the Biloxi/Gulfport area today. Since I have no photos to share of my own, I will rely on Youtube to provide some visual and musical connection.

Pete Seeger sings "Old Folks at Home"


No comments:

Post a Comment