Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Poem:"136 Syllables on Southwest Florida January 6"

I was finally motivated to get out into nature on Monday after staying inside for most of my vacation working on projects. It helped when I found a poem by Allen Ginsberg called "136 Syllables At Rocky Mountain Dharma Center" which consists of 8 lines, each 17 syllables long;  basically a collection of haiku. You can read the poem here.

After studying the structure of the poem a little, I went to Lakes Park equipped with notebook and iPhone for an hour of haiku writing and picture taking at the park. Here is my version.


136 Syllables on Southwest Florida January 6

Black and white Swallowtail Kite soars high--Viceroy Butterfly greets me.

Mad at exposure of my favorite sitting rock--trees all removed.

Breeze kicks up--I raise my face to let my hair blow back, sweet free coolness.

Zebra Longwings floats over succulent garden, dipping dreamily.

At 11:43 a.m a couple circle the Peace Pole.

A Great Blue Heron wings through the pines, reflecting the bright noonday sun.

Fading red roses, purple ground orchids, fluffy tongue of wild cotton.

Lakes Park 11:00 am until noon

Contented to be writing, be a writer living the writing life.

Home 1:00 pm





1 comment: