Saturday, January 4, 2014

Phil Everly: The Loss of Another Great

Musically, I came of age in the mid-1960's.  It was the Beatles that brought me into popular music.  Little did I know for many years that the Beatles were influenced by so many American artists -- the Everly Brothers among them.

The Everly songs with the amazing harmonies have been a regular part of my life. "Wake Up, Little Susie" and "Bye, Bye Love" are American standards that belong to the era, yet extend beyond.  On our recent trip to Nashville, the Everly Brothers were mentioned several times, most notably because they were "discovered" in the alley next to the Ryman Auditorium, and looking out the window at that alley is part of the tour.

In a New York Times article today it was mentioned that the Everly Brothers sang dark songs with light melodies -- a juxtaposition that always brings depth to any piece of writing, be it a song, a poem, a novel.  This contrast is what made them so influential and long-lasting.

I don't think a lot about Don and Phil Everly, but their influence on the Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, and so many other favorites of mine has certainly been noticed by me.  With that, I give you my five favorite Everly songs.

5. Walk Right Back
In the early 80's I was involved in a musical at my church, and one of the songs we sang was this one.  I actually had never heard the song before learning it for the show, but it brings back good memories for me.  Here are the Everly's singing with Lulu in 1968.

4. All I Have to Do is Dream
Not any direct memory -- just one I've always liked.



3. I'll Do My Crying in the Rain
I've been wanting to write about this song for a while.  Somehow, this one escaped me all of these years until this past summer when watching James Taylor and Carole King sing together on PBS.  This song was written by Carole King and Gerry Goffin, and when James Taylor sang it, I immediately fell in love with it.  I downloaded the Everly Brothers version right away as well.  I honestly don't remember hearing it until that night, but ever since then I've listened to it plenty to make up for it!

Here's a beautiful version by Art Garfunkel and James Taylor.  Wow.



2.  Devoted to You
The harmonies!  What more can I say?  I have adored this song for as long as I can remember.  James Taylor and Carly Simon did a duet of this on one of her albums, and that increased my love of this song. Perfection.


1.  Cathy's Clown
The harmonies at the opening of this song are among my favorites in all music history.  It has such a rush of melancholy and humiliation and hurt -- and in such an accessible, not sappy way -- and the song itself seems to be a marker for the transition of music from the 50's to the 60's.  Watching the video of the Everly Brothers put together by the Country Music Hall of Fame, I learned this was their biggest hit on Warner Brothers.  The record company believed it in so much they numbered it "WB1."


Listen to any of these songs then listen to the Beatles sing an early version of "Please Please Me", and you can clearly hear the influence Phil and Don had on the Beatles.  Godspeed, Phil.  Your music will live forever.




No comments:

Post a Comment