Sunday, June 8, 2014

Beach Day -- 8 June (Photo Poem)

In Morning High Tide

I arrive
Beach nearly empty
Save for a family fishing
A birdwatcher.


The tide is high
The path is narrow
Waves lap the shore gently
I think of this week
I'm filled with art
With work on a short story
With friendships and fun
Yet I've kept a structured path
Returning each day to what is important
Writing, music, exercise, meditation.

Where the beach ends
an inlet from the bay into the mangroves
Observation meditation
Blue herons rustle around the water's edge
Large mangrove crabs scuttle on the branches
New growth green and bright at the base
A cell phone floats by in the water.
I'm awake, alive, and curious as I
bear witness to the natural world
I'm on a small path
but it is a vast world.




I walk back
It is hotter now 
a bay breeze pushes me along
Clouds billow up over the Sanibel Causeway
A missing piece for my story falls into place
unexpected.
I wasn't even thinking about it.


Families have arrived now
Toddlers splash in the shallow water
Photographer walks the shore
Fishermen have left
I'm filled with art -- the color, the process
All that naturally comes together
unexpected
in morning high tide.



No comments:

Post a Comment