Sunday, April 13, 2014

My Sunday Song 4/13 -- "I Wave Bye Bye"

Songwriter Jesse Winchester passed away a couple of days ago.  I have known of his songs for many years.  In the 1970's Jimmy Buffett recorded his haunting "Biloxi" and Nicolette Larson the fun "Rhumba Girl."  As an artist, we never heard Jesse on the radio but his songwriting skills were sifted throughout the singers that were popular.

Recently I came back in touch with "Biloxi" when Roseanne Cash sang her version of it on her new album.  I am intoxicated by this song; so much so, we plan on making an overnight stay in Biloxi this summer on our road trip.

I searched YouTube for a good song to represent Jesse.  Since I don't really like the video that is posted for "Biloxi" I had to nix that one. But then I ran across this video and song -- one I was not familiar with.  It reminded me how recently so many of my friends have been making Facebook posts about missing their parents who have passed.  It seems that lately there have been many -- some whose parents have recently passed, and some that made their transition many years ago.  I know that longing myself, and find this song hits all the write chords inside of me.


So here is the lovely "I Wave Bye Bye" -- written and sung by Jesse Winchester.  I have listed the words below.





"I Wave Bye Bye"

Just out in the harbour
All the ships asleep
Maybe one cold watchman
Walks the lonely beach
And way out on the water
A ship is under sail
leave a wave of star light
and a dreamer in her trail

I'll wave bye bye
I pray Godspeed
I wish lovely weather
More luck than you need
You'll only sail in circles
So there's no need to cry
No I'll see you again one day
And then I'll wave bye bye.

The sailing ship reminds me of a certain girl
Who left a certain dreamer to sail into the world
The very friendly postcard from very far away
But they just remind me of a certain day.

I'll wave bye bye
I pray Godspeed
I wish lovely weather
More luck than you need
You'll only sail in circles
So there's no need to cry
Though I'll see you again one day
Then I'll wave bye bye.
Bye bye.

1 comment:

  1. Powerful, interesting to use the childlike bye bye when the lyrics mention sailing in circles. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete